Corgarff Castle consists of a much-altered rectangular 16th century tower house, white-washed and restored, with later pavilions and star-shaped curtain wall for defense.The castle was built about 1550 by John Forbes of Towie. It was torched in 1571 by Adam Gordon of Auchindoun, killing Margaret Campbell, wife of Forbes of Towie, and 26 others of her household. The Forbes family were supporters of the cause of the future James VI in the years following the imprisonment of Mary Queen of Scots in England The Gordon family from Auchindoun were supporters of the claim of Mary to the Scottish throne, The Erskine Earls of Mar acquired the lands in 1626, but the castle was burnt by Jacobites in 1689; then again in 1716, this time by Hanoverians to punish the Earl of Mar for his part in the Jacobite Rising; and for a third time in 1746. Corgarff was used by the Jacobites as supply storage for powder, muskets and ammunition. In 1748 the government bought Corgarff, remodelled the tower, and used it as a barracks after the Jacobite Risings. It was later used as a base to help stop illicit whisky distilling, but was abandoned in 1831. Its last residents were the Ross sisters, known locally as the Castle Ladies, and they left during the First World War. he castle was turned over to the state in 1961 for preservation. and has in recent years been wonderfully restored by Historic Scotland as it would have been in the years following the 1748 conversion.
Title: Corgarff Castle
Location: Grampian Hills, Aberdeenshire, Highlands, Scotland
Corgarff Castle stands in a wild and lonely spot at the head of Strathdon in the Grampian hills of Aberdeenshire. Through much of its history Corgarff has been of strategic importance, guarding the quickest route from Deeside to Speyside. Its location ensured that Corgarff Castle has had an eventful and sometimes tragic history.
For more on the Grampian Hills
To learn more about Corgarff Castle go to: Undiscovered Scotland
in Mat Sizes: 16x20,
us to order this print.